Swiss
11617 Hunt Club Road, Thurmont, MD 21788
Membership Meetings, 1st Thursday of the Month, 8:00 PM
  • Register

Swiss Rifle Matches

In 1994 a group of Swiss targetshooters in the Washington, DC area got together to discuss the possibility of organizing match events. The following year the Swiss Rifles of Washington, DC became a reality. The club is officially recognized by the Swiss Army as a club where Swiss citizens abroad can maintain their target-shooting skills and participate in the yearly program required of all Swiss men of army age. As a result the army provided Schmidt Ruben rifles and ample ammunition for club members. In addition the club is affiliated with the NRA and several members are certified rifle instructors. The club takes its name from the Swiss Regiment, 15th Missouri Infantry where numerous first generation Swiss-Americans fought for the Union during the Civil War. The club's banner is also modeled after the seven foot long, five foot wide flag carried in battle by the regiment. According to its by-laws 51% of the club members must hold Swiss citizenship. The remaining 49% is open to any others who express an interest in the activities and goals of the club.

The match events focus primarily on 300 meter high powered rifles and include the official Swiss army program and the yearly national Feldschiessen (field match event) where club members can win a medal. This event, held one weekend per year attracts over 200,000 participants in Switzerland. This in a country with only seven million people but over 2,000 rifle ranges. Last summer six Swiss and six American club members traveled to Switzerland to participate in the Federal match that takes place once every five years. It was a real thrill to be part of this event, with 60,000 participants on one range over three weeks. Four hundred electronic targets helped the event to run smoothly. Marching in the parade through the city of Morges with 5,000 other participants and bringing home many medals was the icing on the cake.

Other events at the local range allow members to practice their skills with handguns and small bore rifles. Until now the Swiss held their outdoor events at the Ft. Meade ranges. However, new restrictions on the 50 yard ranges prohibiting the use of lead ammunition have forced us to look for alternatives. We look forward to holding events in Thurmont and becoming active participants in the TCSC Group. Alfred Kessi President

Schedule of Events 2016

  • Registration required at all events, so you may need to show up at least 15-30 minutes before the posted start times.
  • If there is no activity scheduled for a range it is open for member usage (with the exception of work days). Please be considerate of others when using the ranges, especially the practice trap and pistol bays. Ranges are also available for member use after scheduled shooting events.

DATE

EVENT

TIME

Mar 13

Swiss Rifles

9:30 AM

Apr 23

Swiss Rifles

9:30 AM

May 15

Swiss Rifles

9:30 AM

Jun 18

Swiss Rifles

9:30 AM

Jul 24

Swiss Rifles

9:30 AM

Aug 20

Swiss Rifles

9:30 AM

Sep 18

Swiss Rifles

9:30 AM

Oct 16

Swiss Rifles

9:30 AM

Nov 20

Swiss Rifles

9:30 AM


Directions to TCSC


From the South (East & West): 

"From Frederick, MD, where exit 53 of Rt. 70 crosses 270/15 and where 270 dumps into Rt. 15 North go north 8.6 miles." 
Turn Right (fork) onto Old Frederick Road and continue north 4.8 miles. 
Turn Right onto Hunt Club Road (across from Stevens Rd) go 1.0 miles to Thurmont Sportsman's Club (bear right on the way). 


From the North: 

From the south side of Thurmont at the Rt. 806 exit of Rt. 15 (about 9 miles south of the PA line on Rt. 15) go South on Rt. 15 about 5.4 miles. 
Turn Left onto Angleberger Road (between the 7-11 store and Beckley's RVs) go about 0.5 miles to where the road curves 90 degrees to the right. 
Jog Left (not the 90 degree left turn) and continue on Angleberger Road for about 2.5 miles to the metal bridge. 
Continue straight across the bridge onto Stevens Road for 0.8 miles to the Stop sign at Old Frederick Road. 
Continue straight across Old Frederick onto Hunt Club Road and keep right for 1.0 miles to the Thurmont Sportsman's Club. 


From Libertytown: 

Go Northwest on 550 for 9.1 miles. 
Turn Left onto Lucey Road and go about 0.7 miles to the Stop sign. 
Go straight/left onto Hunt Club Road and go a half mile to the Thurmont Sportsman's Club. 

Contact

Contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. for additional information regarding Swiss rifle matches.

Login Form

Register